Autodesk has an Artists In Residence programme. Fab! “We are now accepting applications for 2015”. Fabber!
A new release for Inkscape, four years after the last one. It’s the must-have free ‘open source’ software for opening the wealth of SVG clip-art. In the new release…
* new internal graphics rendering engine, Cairo.
* new Trace Pixel Art feature enables creation of vector art from bitmaps, sprites, and icons.
* new Symbols Library provides reusable graphics elements — you can even read in Visio symbol libraries.
* new file formats are supported, including FXG, SIF and HTML5 export; and VSD and CDR import. EMF/WMF are now readable and writable for all platforms. And XCF, PDF, EPS, and PS+LaTeX support are improved.
* Over a dozen new extensions [plugins] are added in this release, including an Isometric Grid Generator, a Bitmap Cropper, a Text Extractor and a Text Merger, an HSL Adjuster, a Font Replacer, a Voronoi Diagram Creator, and more.
* 64-bit Windows version.
Autodesk Sketchbook has a new official “Hero Challenge” on Deviant Art…
“the SketchBook Team has decided a ‘hero’ is anyone using SketchBook professionally. Each month, the selected SketchBook hero will challenge you with a drawing prompt. Download the prompt, and rise to the challenge.”